How I Used the Principles from Act Now! A Daily Action Log for Achieving Your Goals in 90 Days to Rise to the Challenge of Getting on TV as an Expert
When a friend of mine challenged me to get on television as an expert by the end of the year, I have to admit that I was a bit intimidated because my calendar was overloaded. Also, while I had shot a lot of video and have been through a media training program, I had not yet pushed to get on TV.
But like everything else I do, I started with a clear intention to get on TV as an expert by the end of the year. I called together my team and we went to work. The plan included a press release about my #1 international best selling book, Act Now! A Daily Action Log for Achieving Your Goals in 90 Days, and lots of follow up and persistence.
Applying SMART to the Challenge
In Act Now! A Daily Action Log for Achieving Your Goals in 90 Days, I talk about SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound) goals. Notice how they fit with my goal of getting on TV as an expert. Here are excerpts from Act Now! where I share the SMART guidelines.
- Specific—”Eliminate any vague language and create clarity in your mind.” I focused on what my goal was and wrote it down – Get on TV as an expert.
- Measurable—”Your goal must be something that can be measured and observed by someone else.” I knew my friend would be searching the web looking for me on TV.
- Achievable—”Your goal must be something that you believe you can achieve.” I told myself that I could and would be on TV.
- Relevant—”This means the goal is relevant to you and that you care about it. If you are resistant about your goal because you haven’t bought into it, you probably won’t achieve it.” I knew that this would help to propel the success of my book and my company, Win Enterprises.
- Time-bound—”Your goal has a due date. The due date says you’re serious about achieving that goal and will do what is possible to get there—you’ll put in your best effort.” I had a deadline (the end of the year) and I had every intention of meeting it.
The Hard Work Pays Off: Pete on TV as an Expert
Sure enough, my team and I were able to secure five television spots! In fact three have aired already!
Here are the links to the recent TC spots:
Keep an eye out for other media and public appearances on the Media and Events section of PeteWiniarski.com